Episode 93: Becoming Like God for Others, w/ Fr. Boniface Hicks (Certification Series: Part 10 of 12)
Manage episode 342352867 series 2869262
Welcome to Episode 93 of the Being Human Podcast: Becoming Like God for Others, w/ Fr. Boniface Hicks (Certification Series: Part 10 of 12)
This week on the podcast, Dr. Greg is switching things up by welcoming as a guest to the show Fr. Boniface Hicks: Benedictine monk, Director of Spiritual Formation at St. Vincent Seminary, and an author of one of the books used in our new Certification!
Together, Dr. Greg and Fr. Boniface explore the topic of spiritual direction, accompaniment, Mentorship, and the content of the fourth-level spirituality course in our Certification.
Discussed in this episode:
- What is spiritual direction and how is it different from other relationships?
- Qualities needed to become a spiritual director along with common challenges faced by those who pursue this path;
- Connections and overlap between spiritual direction and Mentorship;
- The importance of silence and the need to cultivate a posture of listening to another;
- Silence as a means of reflecting and imaging the love of God to others;
- Resisting the temptation to “be the guru” or have all the answers when accompanying others;
- Praying with clients in session: is it a necessary part of Catholic therapy?
- The need to have a disposition of reverence for the uniqueness of each individual’s interior journey;
- Fr. Boniface’s personal journey of developing a comfortability with silence.
Resources mentioned or relevant:
- Register for the next Open House to learn more about our new Certification!
- Get to know Fr. Boniface Hicks, OSB;
- Spiritual Direction Formation Program at St. Vincent Seminary;
- Spiritual Direction: A Guide for Sharing the Father’s Love by Fr. Thomas Acklin & Fr. Boniface Hicks;
- Personal Prayer: A Guide for Receiving the Father’s Love by Fr. Thomas Acklin & Fr. Boniface Hicks;
- The Catechesis of the Good Shepherd Program (USA);
- Witness to Love - a Catholic marriage mentoring and prep program;
- Evangelii Gaudium - Apostolic exhortation;
- Born Only Once - Conrad Baars’ book on affirmation;
- Learn about IDDM (Mentorship) and how it can help you;
- Schedule a free 15-minute consultation call with our staff to discuss your situation and how we can support you!
- Sign up for Being Human, our weekly newsletter, to stay up to date on exciting developments at CatholicPsych;
- Become a member of the Integrated Life Community to get access to every course Dr. Greg has created, including his Catholic Mindfulness 2: Discernment of Spirits course;
- Download The Integrated App for access to free audio exercises, the Catholic Mindfulness Virtual Retreat, courses, prayer resources, and more;
- Visit our website to read the CatholicPsych blog, shop in the CatholicPsych bookshop, or discover other resources we have available.
Contact us! Have a topic or a question you would like Dr. Greg to address on the podcast? Want to give some feedback about this episode? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org - we would love to hear from you!
Rate, review, and subscribe
Please help us in our mission to integrate the Faith with Psychology by hitting subscribe and also sharing this podcast with your friends.
Please consider rating or leaving a review of our show. It helps us reach other Catholics just like you who want to become more integrated, whole, and happy human beings.
For Apple podcasts, click here, scroll to the bottom, tap to rate 5 stars, and choose “write a review.” Then type your sincere thoughts about the show!
If you haven’t already, make sure to subscribe so you don’t miss out on any episodes. Subscribe to the podcast now!