The Sunday Debate: Reflections on the Collapse of the Soviet Union, with Timothy Garton Ash and Ivan Krastev
Manage episode 340078317 series 2806638
Sign up for Intelligence Squared Premium here: https://iq2premium.supercast.com/ for ad-free listening, bonus content, early access and much more. See below for details.
Following the death of former Soviet Union leader Mikhail Gorbachev this week, we dip into the archive for a discussion from 2019 when we invited three leading scholars to reflect on the fall of Communism under the watch of Gorbachev, a giant of 20th-century politics. Hosting the discussion is Brian Klaas, Associate Professor in Global Politics at University College London and author of Corruptible: Who Gets Power and How It Changes Us. Brian is joined by Ivan Krastev, opinion writer for the New York Times, chair of the Centre for Liberal Strategies in Sofia, and author of the acclaimed book After Europe. Timothy Garton Ash is Professor of European Studies at the University of Oxford and author of numerous books including Free Speech: Ten Principles for a Connected World.
We are incredibly grateful for your support. To become an Intelligence Squared Premium subscriber, follow the link: https://iq2premium.supercast.com/
Here’s a reminder of the benefits you’ll receive as a subscriber:
- Ad-free listening, because we know some of you would prefer to listen without interruption
- One early episode per week
- Two bonus episodes per month
- A 25% discount on IQ2+, our exciting streaming service, where you can watch and take part in events live at home and enjoy watching past events on demand and without ads
- A 15% discount and priority access to live, in-person events in London, so you won’t miss out on tickets
- Our premium monthly newsletter
- Intelligence Squared Merch
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices