Manage episode 341479295 series 2492030
Sign up for Intelligence Squared Premium here: https://iq2premium.supercast.com/ for ad-free listening, bonus content, early access and much more. See below for details.
Today, decolonisation is generally spoken of as the rightful return of things to the way they once were, and the removal of all traces of colonial rule. But is this necessarily the best way to move forward and give agency to African nations? Or has decolonisation become a reductionist trope – a scapegoat for modern problems? To delve into the nuances and importance of decolonisation we're joined by Olufemi Taiwo, Professor of African Political Thought at Cornell University and author of Against Decolonisation: Taking African Agency Seriously, and Dipo Faloyin, Senior Editor at VICE and author of Africa Is Not A Country: Breaking Stereotypes of Modern Africa. Our host for this Sunday Debate is Yassmin Abdel-Magied, writer, engineer and award-winning social advocate.
We are incredibly grateful for your support. To become an Intelligence Squared Premium subscriber, follow the link: https://iq2premium.supercast.com/
Here’s a reminder of the benefits you’ll receive as a subscriber:
- Ad-free listening, because we know some of you would prefer to listen without interruption
- One early episode per week
- Two bonus episodes per month
- A 25% discount on IQ2+, our exciting streaming service, where you can watch and take part in events live at home and enjoy watching past events on demand and without ads
- A 15% discount and priority access to live, in-person events in London, so you won’t miss out on tickets
- Our premium monthly newsletter
- Intelligence Squared Merch
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices