Complaints and How to Survive Them Series E5 What should I do when I think a complaint is unfair & other questions
Manage episode 297372941 series 2655994
Drs Sarah Coope, George Wright, Samanta White, and Andrew Tressider join us in this episode to discuss how you can adjust your perspective about complaints and how to deal with them. We also tackle unfair or malicious complaints and how you can cope with them.
[07:07] How to Respond When Someone Wishes to Make a Complaint
- Thank patients for the feedback.
- Some patients may only be looking for acknowledgment.
[12:59] Should You Display Your Complaints Policy?
- Displaying your complaints policies helps patients.
[15:50] How to Handle Complaints When They’re Unfair
- Build rapport. The conversation follows after.
- Let facts speak for themselves. Avoid being defensive.
[19:51] Learning to Not be Defensive
- Hear the whole story.
- Acknowledge, Apologise, Ask, Answer, and Act.
[26:59] Calming Down During Intense Situations
- Plant your feet.
- Get your spine comfortable
[29:49] How to Handle Malicious Complaints
- Share your burden.
- Ask what the client wants to accomplish.
[35:36] The Five Agreements from Toltec Wisdom
- Be impeccable with your words.
- Take nothing personally.
- Make no assumptions.
- Always do your best.
- Be skeptical, but listen.
[37:40] How to Depersonalise Problems
- Have someone support you.
- Identify the source of your complaint.
[44:49] Emotional Occupational Hazards in Healthcare
- Time plays a significant role.
- Be kind to yourself.
[50:18] How to Handle Complaints during the Pandemic
- Be straightforward.
- Discuss handling pandemic-related complaints.
[59:47] Supervising Trainees Dealing with Their First Complaints
- Create a safe space for trainees.
- Be in the right time and space when talking to complainants.
Enjoyed This Podcast?
Write a review and share this with your friends.
Sign up for a FREE workbook.
Join the Shapes Collective Facebook group.
Find out more about our training here.
- Sign up for our FREE live webinar where we teach doctors some practical strategies to help with challenging times.
- Check out the Permission to Thrive CPD membership for doctors!
- E78: Preparing to Fail Well
- E80: What to Do When You Make a Mistake
- E82: Surviving the Process
- E84: Creating a Workplace Where It’s OK to Fail
- Dr Coope: website | Twitter
- Dr Wright: website | Twitter
- Dr White: email
- Dr Tressider: website | email
Support the show (https://youarenotafrog.com)