Manage episode 248897283 series 2508230
The final episode of the year begins with a brief recap of the wins and losses we experienced in 2019, and an announcement about our podcasting plans for 2020. After that, Greg shares some Feats of Strength, along with a “Hot Off the Presses” segment about recent research on the effective reps concept and antioxidant supplementation. In addition, Eric discusses some key behavior change theories to help you (or your clients) successfully modify their health-related habits and behaviors in 2020. Finally, Greg and Eric interview world champion powerlifter Mike Tuchscherer about all things powerlifting.
0:00:41 Recap of 2019
0:11:24 Podcast plans for 2020
0:18:54 Feats of Strength
0:33:03 Hot Off the Presses: Effective Reps
- Link to study: https://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Abstract/publishahead/Is_Performing_Repetitions_to_Failure_Less.94611.aspx
- Link to Stronger By Science article: https://www.strongerbyscience.com/effective-reps/
- Link to previous discussion on the “effective reps” concept: https://www.strongerbyscience.com/qa/training/#What_is_the_evidence_for_8220effective_reps8221
0:42:49 Hot Off the Presses: Antioxidants. Studies discussed:
- Clifford 2019: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31851538
- Bjornsen 2015: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/sms.12506
- Paulsen 2014: https://physoc.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1113/jphysiol.2014.279950
- Dutra 2018: https://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/10.1139/apnm-2017-0866
- Dutra 2019: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6413849/
1:06:00 Coach’s Corner: Changing health-related habits and behaviors
1:19:39 To Play Us Out: New Year’s Resolutions
1:24:49 Interview: Mike Tuchscherer
1:31:50 Mike’s background
1:40:17 What are your biggest accomplishments as an athlete?
1:41:40 RPE (rating of perceived exertion) and RIR (repetitions in reserve) have become increasingly popular training concepts in recent years. Is this a double-edged sword? Are people using them in ways you didn’t foresee, or misusing them in ways that you find frustrating?
1:52:39 Emerging strategies - what’s the idea? How do you choose what to try in the first place?
1:59:53 How do you go about helping athletes find the best technique for themselves?
2:21:07 Since you’ve coached so many world-class lifters, what are signs a lifter is nearing their ultimate limits? What do you think ultimately limits progress?
2:30:16 Do you swear by any training methods or techniques that go against the scientific consensus (or conventional wisdom)?
2:40:40 Where can people stay up-to-date with Mike online?