The Life is a Marathon show gives you inspiration, motivation, and resources to empower you to thrive and win in the marathon we call “life!” Bruce Van Horn is a Life Coach, Mentor, Thought Leader, Best-Selling Author, Entertaining and Motivational Speaker, Dad, and Marathon runner. He brings his respected insight, wisdom, leadership, and storytelling abilities to this podcast to share with you information, tips, life-hacks, and entertaining and heart-warming stories with the goal of helping ...
Nick Shaw: CEO & Co-Founder of Renaissance Periodization™, Co-Host of the RP Strength Podcast, Author of 'Fit For Success'
Manage episode 290494181 series 2762883
Is it possible to develop an idea birthed in bodybuilding and powerlifting, and create a health, nutrition, and strength company as well as the highly popular RP app? If you’re Nick Shaw, the answer is a resounding yes. Nick is the founder and CEO of Renaissance Periodization and has sold hundreds of thousands of books on nutrition, training, recovery, and creating healthy habits.
Nick is a former competitive powerlifter and bodybuilder and has also personally coached numerous world-class athletes, including CrossFit Games Champions, international medalists, Olympians, UFC fighters, professional athletes, and Navy SEALs.
He is a co-host of the RP Strength podcast with wife - and RP colleague - Lori Shaw.
Nick, Marcus, and Morgan bring a very interesting and informative discussion about the complexities and “I can use it now” strategies for strength and nutrition.
In this episode you will hear:
- I’m an accidental entrepreneur.
- If you just bust your ass and get after it, you can get better.
- In fitness or sports, there's always a little bit more, you can do. You can get a little bit faster, you can get a little bit stronger, you can do a few more reps, whatever it is, you can grow a little more muscle.
- I thought: What if we take people with elite genetics, and then combine the scientific approach? You could probably have some pretty cool athletes.
- You have to nail the calorie balance first.
- Stop snacking, just start eating lean proteins with every meal - more fruits and veggies, your healthy fats, avocados, olive oil, things like that.
- Calorie balance is the number one overall thing.
- You can give somebody the perfect diet, but if they're never going to follow it, is it any good?
- It’s not a diet. It’s more of a lifestyle.
- You can't out-train a bad diet.
- Be prepared to work your tail off.
- My wife's a warrior. She’s way stronger than me.
- 2020 was such a crappy year for so many people, and I knew there was going to be a way to help people.
- Instead of trying to compete for little plastic trophies, it's better to prioritize family.
- You can learn so much from really successful people.