Manage episode 260580293 series 2663586
Date: 5th March 2020
Title: Nick Merriman CEO of Horniman Museum Forest Hill on improving accessibility and diversity in museums.
In this episode of Portrait of a Londoner we speak to Nick Merriman who is CEO of the Horniman Museum in South East London https://www.horniman.ac.uk/. He was formerly Director of the Manchester Museum. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Merriman
Portrait of a Londoner is a South-east London based podcast and in the first series we will be talking to people who live or work in Forest Hill, South-East London https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_Hill,_London.
If you are a new listener to Portrait of a Londoner, we would love to hear from you! Contact details are below
In this episode, you we discuss:
- Diversity and accessibility in the museum world in general but also at the Horniman museum (02.00)
- Other museums in the UK and globally that are working to involve their local communities and improve accessibility including the Anacostia museum https://anacostia.si.edu/, Derby museums https://www.derbymuseums.org/, and Glasgow’s Kelvingrove https://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/museums/venues/kelvingrove-art-gallery-and-museum (11.08)
- His childhood (12.50)
- The relationship and influence of his wife who is director of The Tate https://www.tate.org.uk/ (17.13)
- Some of the places he goes to relax including Kettle’s Yard in Cambridge https://www.kettlesyard.co.uk/ (20.38)
- We close with plans for the Horniman for the remainder of 2020 and the role the Horniman plays in Lewisham Borough of Culture 2021 https://www.gold.ac.uk/news/lewisham-borough-of-culture-2021/
If you would like to find out more about the Horniman museum you can check them out on: their
Join the Conversation
Our favourite part of recording a live podcast each week is participating in the great
conversations that happen on on social media, and in our comments section.
This weeks question is:
Question: What is your experience or views on diversity and accessibility with respect to museums and galleries?
Please join the conversation by:
Visiting our Instagram @portrait_of_a_londoner
Facebook @Portrait of a Londoner
or email us firstname.lastname@example.org
Please rate review and subscribe to our podcast!