Manage episode 285739372 series 2355763
Today, Gordon is joined by one of the most respected experts in the martial arts world, 7th Degree Black Belt Master in TaeKwonDo, a former security guard for Michael Jackson and PT to the stars, Matt Fiddes. Together they discuss the value of personal branding, how to embrace new techniques as well and how important it is to help people along the way.
- You have to learn to accept bringing new ideas, embracing new techniques and listening to what parents want. The parents do not care less how many championships you have won or your trophies they care about what you can teach their children what other people can’t.
- To be disruptive takes courage. It takes courage to start up a franchise and it takes courage to not be a black belt in order to teach. As long as you are a great teacher, you can teach. It is always about giving people what they want, if you give people what they want, they will buy.
- Learn the value of branding, PR and marketing. You can be the best martial arts teacher in the world, but if you haven't got members to teach in the first place you have got a serious problem. Unless you can sell, build a market and build a brand then you are not going to attract new clients.
- If you are going to build a startup these days, you have a choice. You can either associate yourself with people who are already established in the industry and follow the model, or you can figure it all out yourself. Stay childlike and stay hungry for success.
- If you change someone's life, you will get a reward for doing that. Making a difference in someone's life will ensure you get payback over and over again, whether that be helping people in Martial Arts or all other areas of their lives.
- You only need so much money in life. Life is about helping other people in whatever way that you can. As long as you have a roof over your head and food to eat, you are all set. There are only so many cars you can buy and holidays you can take in life.
- With the financial hit of the pandemic, you have got to bulletproof your finances so that if a recession comes around again, you have got yourself into a position where you do not have to worry about money. Ensure that you have the things in place so that you can provide for your family and leave your legacy behind.
"I always go with what's in someone's heart"
"For me, I just wanted to be a martial Artist"
“I just loved kicking people in the head.”
“The younger you are the hungrier you are for success.”
“There is no romance about finance.”
“We’re all very vulnerable creatures.”
ABOUT THE GUEST
Matt Fiddes is one of the most respected experts in the international world of martial arts and fitness. Matt’s achievements have seen him honoured at the highest level, after being inducted into the UK Martial Arts Hall of Fame and presented with the prestigious ‘Martial Arts Superstar Award’. He is a 7th Degree, Black Belt Master, in Tae Kwon Do and holds Black Belts in Kickboxing and Kung Fu is now one of the most in-demand personal trainers thanks to front covers and interviews in newspapers and magazines worldwide. He has numerous celebrity clientele including actors, supermodels and singers. Undoubtedly Matt’s biggest client was superstar Michael Jackson. Introduced to Matt by his close friend Uri Geller, Matt was Michael’s personal UK bodyguard for over a decade before his tragic death in June 2009.
ABOUT THE HOST
Gordon Burcham is a best-selling author, 3 x World martial arts champion, and award-winning Martial arts school owner. He has helped 1000s of Martial arts schools grow and has over 20 years of experience running martial arts schools.
Gordon has been training, teaching, and working in the Martial Arts industry for nearly twenty-five years. After earning his first black belt, he went on to win three consecutive World Titles against guys half his age. In 1998, in the midst of his competitive career, he launched his own dojo which still runs today. After retiring from the competitions, he decided to focus more on helping others in the MA business while still running his club.
Burcham has trained with industry giants like Alfie Lewis and developed his street-smart business attitude working with top business coaches. He is now considered one of the foremost authorities on peak performance in the business side of the MA industry. He has proven his techniques work through the transformation in his own personal life, athletic career, and business as well as those of his coaching clients. Burcham teaches that success is the result of forming good habits and moving forward.
He is a real-life success story going from bullied school kid to earning multiple world titles, and his MA school is currently one of the most successful in the UK. Gordon loves self-development and helping others, enjoys travel and family time. He is now learning how to fly planes and pursuing a speaking career!
Learn How to Become Black belt in Business.
Learn -Develop - grow and you will succeed.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.