Manage episode 340782684 series 2806638
Sign up for Intelligence Squared Premium here: https://iq2premium.supercast.com/ for ad-free listening, bonus content, early access and much more. See below for details.
In this archive debate from 2017 produced in collaboration with the University of Chicago, we asked: has the political establishment failed America? In 2017, the view was that whether they voted for Trump or Sanders or none of the above, millions of Americans felt the answer might be yes – and that the system benefits the elites at the expense of everyone else. While others say that despite its flaws, the political establishment has been a force for unparalleled stability, prosperity and equality – and that it is the only thing standing between America and the abyss. Is it time for the old guard to come to the rescue or to make way for a new political reality? Arguing in favour of the motion were Michael Eric Dyson of Georgetown University and William Howell of UChicago. Arguing against the motion were Jennifer Rubin of the Washington Post and Eric Oliver of UChicago. Our host for this event was Mary Ann Ahern, Political Reporter for NBC5 Chicago.
We are incredibly grateful for your support. To become an Intelligence Squared Premium subscriber, follow the link: https://iq2premium.supercast.com/
Here’s a reminder of the benefits you’ll receive as a subscriber:
- Ad-free listening, because we know some of you would prefer to listen without interruption
- One early episode per week
- Two bonus episodes per month
- A 25% discount on IQ2+, our exciting streaming service, where you can watch and take part in events live at home and enjoy watching past events on demand and without ads
- A 15% discount and priority access to live, in-person events in London, so you won’t miss out on tickets
- Our premium monthly newsletter
- Intelligence Squared Merch
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices