Manage episode 295412906 series 2938652
Ok, so we need to have faith. But faith in what? How can we even know whether God exists?
In this episode we unpack some of the main proofs for the existence of God.
This episode covers Part One, Section One, Chapter One of the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
References and further reading/listening/viewing:
(If you have any other suggestions for further reading/viewing/listening on this topic, shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.)
On arguments for the existence of God:
- William Lane Craig, Reasonable Faith.
- Edward Feser. Five Proofs for the Existence of God, The Last Superstition, Aquinas.
- Pretty much anything written by Peter Kreeft.
- The earlier episodes of Pints with Aquinas, many of which cover arguments for God’s existence.
- Capturing Christianity YouTube channel. He hosts lots of debates on God’s existence on his channel if that’s your thing.
On the argument from desire:
- Ted Chiang, “What’s Expected of us”, from Exhalation. (His other book, Stories of Your Life is also really worth reading - in my opinion it’s better than Exhalation.)
- C. S. Lewis, Surprised by Joy.
- St Thomas Aquinas, Summa Contra Gentiles III.48. Another permutation of his argument appears in II.55, and in the Summa Theologiae 1.75.6.
On the argument from motion:
- Ok Go, “This Too Shall Pass - Rube Goldberg Machine - Official video.” YouTube.
On the argument from design:
- Special Books by Special Kids YouTube channel.
- Thomas Riedelsheimer’s documentary, Andy Goldsworthy: Rivers and Tides.
On the argument from morality: