Manage episode 293618931 series 2932432
Basketball Coaches Roundtable welcomes Matt Doherty as the guest of the roundtable. Coach Doherty was a National Champion as a player at the University of North Carolina and was the 2001 AP National Coach of the Year, while coaching his alma mater. In 2003, he lost his job as a head coach and begin his journey into becoming a better leader. He has just released a book about his self-discovery called Rebound: From Pain to Passion, Leadership Lessons Learned.
Topics discussed at the Roundtable:
- What trends in the game would you use now if you were taking over a basketball program?
- How did you incorporate past knowledge as a championship player in developing your practice plans?
- What is leadership knowledge that all coaches should know?
- Art of Coaching v. Science of Coaching?
- How does a coach build positive player to player relationships?
- Practicing and playing alongside one of the all-time greats.
- As a player how did you make sure practice was more difficult than the game?
- Character v. Talent?
Sitting at the Roundtable:
- Ben Newman - Host
- Dan Murphy - Special Assistant - Monmouth University - West Long Branch, NJ
- Elle Greene - Head Coach - BCAM HS - Brooklyn, NY