Manage episode 293618937 series 2932432
Basketball Coaches Roundtable welcomes Ryan Hyland. Coach Hyland is starting his 7th year as Head Coach of John Jay College in New York. When hired at age 25 he was the youngest Head Coach in the NCAA at any level and has transformed the John Jay program into an 18+ wins per season. After the 2019-2020 season Coach Hyland was honored as an Under Armour top 30 under 30 coach.
Topics discussed at the roundtable
- Changing the program around and how he got the head coaching job?
- Being named to the Under Armour 30 under 30 list.
- Advantages of being a young head coach.
- Staying positive and poised on the sidelines.
- Where does John Jay need to go to win their goal of a National Championship?
- What do you tell your team after a heartbreaking playoff loss?
- What is a game in your coaching career that you can't let go of?
- What is your winning formula?
- What is the structure for your 35-second offensive possession?
- How do you structure practice and when do you stop it to make teaching points?
- What do you chart in practice and games?
- What is your defensive philosophy?
- Advice for a new head coach on how to utilize assistants.
Sitting at the Roundtable
- Ben Newman - Host
- Elle Greene - Head Coach - BCAM HS, Brooklyn, NY