Manage episode 293426004 series 2323060
In this episode of APES vs, we discuss the issues related to urbanization and evaluate the question "Does urbanization pose a concerning negative impact on our environment?" Disclaimer: we are playing the roles of the experts and are really high school students taking AP Environmental Science.
- McKinney, M. L. (2008). Effects of urbanization on species richness: a review of plants and animals. Urban ecosystems, 11(2), 161-176.
- Bonnet-Lebrun, A. S., Manica, A., & Rodrigues, A. S. (2020). Effects of urbanization on bird migration. Biological Conservation, 244, 108423.
- Friedland, A., & Relyea, R. (2019). Environmental Science for the AP® Course (Third ed.). BFW High School Publishers.
- Moore, M., Gould, P., & Keary, B. S. (2003). Global urbanization and impact on health. International journal of hygiene and environmental health, 206(4-5), 269-278. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1438463904702230
- Bradley, C. A., & Altizer, S. (2007). Urbanization and the ecology of wildlife diseases. Trends in ecology & evolution, 22(2), 95-102. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0169534706003648
- Williams, D. S., Manez Costa, M., Sutherland, C., Celliers, L., & Scheffran, J. (2019). Vulnerability of informal settlements in the context of rapid urbanization and climate change. Environment and Urbanization, 31(1), 157-176. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0956247818819694#_i14
- Garschagen, M., & Romero-Lankao, P. (2015). Exploring the relationships between urbanization trends and climate change vulnerability. Climatic Change, 133(1), 37-52. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10584-013-0812-6
- Music: https://www.bensound.com